Dentistry/foods that don't require much flossing?

Question
Silly question but I'll ask anyway. I have a dental appointment this month to get a thorough cleaning. The appt. is at 2:00. I would eat and floss before I go, but have sensitive gums and don't want them flossed by the hygienist again soon after. ButI don't want a bunch of food between my teeth when I get there either. Besides just liquid, are there any foods I could eat before the appt.that wouldn't get between my teeth and require flossing? Thanks

Answer
Hi Lee and thanks for your question.

As I am sure you can appreciate the difficulty in giving you any definitive answers due to huge inter-personal differences one finds with gaps between teeth, tooth composition which affects the porosity and external adhesion of substances to teeth, saliva flow and the natural wash-effect it creates, etc. And these factors, and so many more, influence which foods get retained after eating and to what degree.  I think you should maybe shift your focus here.... don't be too concerned about what foods are going to be left between your teeth before a hygienist appointment - believe me, there is very little that dental professionals haven't seen and I personally would be much happier to spend 5 mins quickly removing non-pathogenic debris, such as food, than to sit for 45 mins and descale a mouth full of tartar which has built up on the teeth over the past year, where the gums are red, swollen, inflamed and bleed on touching.

I understand that your gums might be sensitive and the thought of having them flossed again later that day could make you anxious and somewhat apprehensive.  Discuss this openly and honestly with your hygienist and maybe an alternative such as a water-pik could be used to flush the inter-dental out instead.  Take your toothbrush with you on the day of your appointment and have a good brush before you see her and that usually removes 90% of "new", loose debris. An important part of the hygienists clean, is to end off with a good floss of all the teeth, to ensure that the contact points between the teeth are clean and clear of any plaque and/or tartar. Perhaps consider skipping flossing as part of your home care for that particular day.  Chewing gum after meals also aids in flushing out any trapped debris.

I hope this helps and I wish you a pleasant and uneventful hygienist appointment,  take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)