Dentistry/jawbone infection

Question
august of 2012 i haD A JOYCE OF AN EXTRACTION ORWENT TO SE HIM  ROOT CANAL
FROM MY DENTST. I HAD THE ROOTCANAL. IT WAS ABCESSED . I HAD ONE COURSE OF ATIBIOTIC AND THE ROOT CANAL WAS DONE.HEGAVE ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR CLINDAMYCIN 300 MG.3 TIMES DAILY FO 7 DAYS, HE SAID TO TAKE THIS IF IT STARTED TO HURT BUT NEVER MENTIONED
ANYTHING ABOUT A JAWBONE INFECTION. IT DID NOT HURT UNLESS I
CHEWED ON IT. I CALLED HIM AND TOLD HIM IT HURTS BADLY IF I CHEW ON IT ONLY BUT NOT OTHERWISE.HE PRESCERIBED ANOTHER 7 DAYS
OF CLINDAMYCIN 300 MG.BUT ITS STILL THE SAME. I WENT TO SEE HIM
LAST WEEK JULY 25,HE TOOK AN XRAY AND SAID IT'S A JAW INFECTION AND THE
TOOTH NEEDS TO BE PULLED EVEN THOUGH THE ROOT CANAL IS GOOD.MY QUESTION IS CAN I CURE THE INFECTION WITHOUT PULLING THE TOOTH.THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INFORMATION,  SAMUEL

Answer
Samuel - I cannot be completely sure without viewing xrays and examining you, but just because a root canal treatment appears to be successful, it does not mean that an infection continues to exist in the bone surrounding the tooth.  Occasionally, a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon can perform a simple surgery, called an apicoectomy, to eliminate surrounding infection to save the tooth.

I suggest that you make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon for an evaluation. An apicoectomy procedure can often be done to eliminate the infection and save the tooth.  So make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  I wish you well and hope it all works out well for you.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired