About a month ago I noticed this area in my husbands lip which was white with a red area like a vein or broken blood vessel. It since has bit went away or changed at all. I made him an appt with his dentist which examined it with the velescope. He said it didn't show up any darker area at all and said it looked like a scar from an old trauma. My husband will not go see an oral surgeon for a biopsy so my question is that even necessary ? It it remains unchanged without getting worse or ulcerated is it safe to say its nothing serious like cancer? Should I be worried about it which I am?

Month ago

Hi Kim,
I can't see that pictures you've attached.  Oral Cancer is linked to smoking and excessive alcohol use.  If your husband has a history of either, then routine oral cancer screenings are important.

The velescope is a decent advancement in oral cancer detection, but having an evaluation by an oral surgeon is warrant on any non-healing lesion that lasts more than 2 weeks.

Perhaps, start with just a consultation with an oral surgeon.  He/She may be able to tell you whether a biopsy is even necessary.  They may be able to do a brush biopsy which is less invasive.

Hope this helps,
KG Amin, DMD

Ketan Amin, DMD

Graduating from Harvard School of Dental Medicine, I received a broad understanding of both medicine and dentistry. I continued my training at New York University, as a dental specialist in endodontics, which concerns root canal therapy, related surgeries, as well as diagnosing and managing various forms of pain occurring in the head and neck

Dentistry; Specialist in Endodontics (Root Canal Therapy).

American Association of Endodontics American Dental Association American Academy of OroFacial Pain

Harvard School of Dental Medicine-Doctorate in Dental Medicine (DMD) New York University College of Dentistry-Certificate, Endodontics