Dentistry/lump in my cheeks in jawline

Question
i have this taste of blood in my mouth, then i was experiencing pain in my jaw for 7days, can't tell exactly where, so i went to the dentist and ask what it is, she said i get infected because i have been constantly biting my cheeks due to alignment of wisdom tooth, she advised to extract all 4 wisdom teeth which already have erupted 8 years ago. she gave me co-amoxiclav for 7 days. i was bothered because i don't want my teeth to be extracted so i asked another dentist what she thinks, she advised me not to get my tooth extracted but just finished my 7 days antibacterial. by then, my left cheek is swollen, i have difficulty opening my mouth wide, i could only open it by 2cm, so i have to take small bites when eating. i finger checked the inside of my mouth in my cheeks and i felt a lump in my cheek along the jaw line. i went to ENT to have it checked but he said i have gingivitis because my gum is red, he added clindimycin in my meds and hexitidine oral gargle. i already finished my meds, i can open my mouth to about 3cm, but not yet my normal mouth opening, and still the LUMP is there in my jawline, hurts a little when i chew on that side. i am worried about the lump. pls advise

Answer
Revelyn -  Of course, without examining you I cannot be completely sure, but chronic infection like you describe, that required the antibiotic to calm it down, during the healing of a chronic infection excessive scarring deep in the tissues of the cheek occurred.  This scarring is not uncommon with an infection of the cheek after it has been traumatized producing the infection.  

The lump is the internal scarring.  I cannot be sure without that examination, but removal of at least the upper and lower wisdom teeth on the side of the lump is probably necessary to prevent a recurrence of this problem in the future after this heals.  For now, to help reduce the swelling and the lump to allow a more normal opening, you need to immediately begin a strict regimen of warm salt water rinses in the area of the swelling for about 3-4 minutes, 4-5 times a day.

So do the warm salt water rinses and that should help to resolve the problem.  I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired