Dentistry/root canal through bridgework

Question
I had hip previsional surgery 5 wks ago, and now am having problems with sensitivity of hot/cold food or drink over one of my crowns in upper jaw which is connected to a 3 pc bridgework.  My dentist took xrays and sees a small gap over the tooth where there shouldn't be and might be a cavity there as well.  She wants me to take Cephalexin prior to my next visit where she will poke around to see what is going on.  She feels I may need a root canal in this tooth, and I may be referred to an endodontist to perform this and possibly lose my entire bridge.  My dentist may be able to do the root canal through my current crown and not have to remove the bridgework first - is this possible?

Answer
Mary - Absolutely the root canal can be done successfully through the crown without any problems.  This procedure is done all the time.  It is important that the dentist is highly skilled in root canal treatment.  Having an endodontist doing the root canal treatment might be better and the success might be more predictable, due to his experience.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired