Dentistry/Tonsil

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
I just noticed this white creamy area in the right tonsil. I know it hasn't always been there so I am not to sure if it's from a trauma. It's been this way for a few days now. Should I consolt my doctor or dentist if it remains this way? Could this just be normal tonsil tissue.

Right tonsil- more so on the tonsilar pillar

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/638F35FF-A76A-48AB-8732-BD0

ANSWER: Hi Kim and thanks for your question.

Being an immune organ, the tonsil is often the first line of defense from external bugs and hence its appearance can fluctuate quite vastly from "normal" to infected.  If you do not have any pain and inflammatoric symptoms, then I would monitor it for 3 days. Should it persist past that, then consult your GP.  Wishing you a speedy resolution of this matter, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

QUESTION: Thanks. If this is not related to infection what could it be? I tend to puch in this area to remove tonsil stones could this be related to a trauma or scar from that? Does thus look like anything serious like start of cancer?

Answer
Hi Kim

You cannot possibly expect anyone to give you a positive diagnosis of that nature based on a picture of a lesion - that's hopefully not where modern technology has taken medicine to...

Only a small percentage of head and neck cancers are tonsil cancers. Tonsil cancer sometimes presents itself as small ulcers, whereas in other areas of the mouth, cancer can start as small white patches. the prognosis and success of the treatments depends on many things, including the size, stage, type and location of the cancer. Cancer of the tonsils is especially dangerous because the tonsils sit in a critical area, right at the base of the skull, where the cancer can invade major blood vessels and nerves of the brain, but also, people who have a cancer in one place, like the tonsils, have a 15-20 percent increased risk of having it somewhere else, too. As can be expected, smoking and drinking alcohol are highest on the list as causes of tonsil cancer, together with any irritant that passes through the oral cavity, including cigar or pipe smoke. A genetic predisposition toward cancer may play a role in some cases, and predominantly affects people over 45 years old. Sometimes, tonsilar cancer develops due to primary lymphatic cancer, as the tonsil forms part of the lymphatic, or immune, system.

In general, one of the early warning signs of oral cancer is a persistent sore throat, with/without difficulty in swallowing, with/without swollen neck lymph glands.

Give yourself the peace of mind and get the all clear from your GP or dentist. Tonsilar cancer is very rare but it can be dangerous so get it checked out and relax. Given the positioning of the tonsils on the wall of throat, it is not unusual to see areas of trauma on these organs, together with areas indicating healing and/or inflammation. Bear in mind that they are organs of immunity, so what looks to you like "disease" is often their activity in preventing that very thing.

I hope this helps, take care.
Dr Craig Peck  

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)