Dentistry/Types of Impression Material

Dr. Could you tell me what is the best upper denture impression material besides alginate, for a patient that has a bad gag reflex, and wants the impression material to set in the mouth for less than two minutes? Thanks You

Dear Lois:
I understand your problem, and you are not the only one. There are many people for whom impression taking is difficult. However it is not the impression material that makes the difference. It is the technique used. Please take the time to go to and look up a prosthodontist near you. The prosthodontist is the expert in this field and we'll know the proper technique and the most appropriate impression material to use for your situation.  Alginate is typically a preliminary impression material which does not provide the necessary accuracy for the best fitting dentures. Since I know nothing about your situation and oral conditions such as type of soft tissue present and quantity and location of remaining bone, the closest to advice for me, would be to go to a qualified colleague, another prosthodontist.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.