Dentistry/chewing tobacco/mouth cancer

I used chewing tobacco ,but not often-- from 20 to 30 years old (about 20 total cans over that time). Now I am 40 years old, have not used in 10 years. What is my estimated relative risk (compared to the overall population) of getting mouth cancer?

i am not sure if this has every been calculated...i would imagine your risk is higher, but the fact that you have not used in 10 years is excellent. congratulations. have your dentist do a visual check of your oral tissues every checkup. you can visually see where people hold chewing tobacco...the tissue looks a bit wrinkled in that spot. i would bet that this has totally disappeared on you. but with constant visual examinations, you should do fine. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Jeff Dalin DDS

general dentistry questions with topics ranging from cosmetic dentistry to dentistry for children

Fellowships in American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the International College of Dentists.