Dentistry/chewing tobacco/mouth cancer

Question
I used chewing tobacco rarely and sporadically from 20 to 30 years old (about 20 total cans over that time). Now I am 40 years old, have not used in 10 years. What is my estimated relative risk (compared to the overall population) of getting mouth cancer?

Answer
Hi David and thanks for your question.

The fact that you only used rarely and sporadically certainly counts in your favour, as does the fact that you only used for a 10 year period, in your "youth" and have not used tobacco for the last 10 years - and I presume that you wont again, either.

The risk for developing oral cancer from tobacco products is a cumulative effect and also dependent on the length of time its used, the quantity consumed, the general health and oral hygiene of the individual, the presence of a familial genetic disposition to cancer and other factors which may place an individual more susceptible to developing cancer than other people - and these are as person-specific as finger prints.

As long as you go for regular check-ups which have the great benefit of being able to identify anything suspicious early on, and live life according to the law of moderation and respect your body, I really do not think that you have anything to worry about.  You have another 40 years of healthy, sensible life left at least, during which time your body your body cells will undergo normal cell division and maturation, free of any malignant change and effect which might otherwise have affected them with the use of tobacco.  Be careful here, though, because not using tobacco products does not exclude any person from developing oral cancer at any stage, albeit at a much lower incidence. I hope this helps and wish you all the best further and well done for stopping.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)