Dentistry/Complicated implants problem

As a teenager a bike accident left me with a cracked front tooth. A crown was made for it, but then the tooth needed to be removed and a double crown was put in.  The crown eventually became a bridge of four teeth.  Tooth decay set in over the years from being on medication. By the age of 50 I had to decide whether or not to go with implants or dentures as a long term solution. I chose to go with 8 implants which I was able to get financing for figuring once the healing process was done six months down the road I would have paid a good chunk of the implant cost. The plan was to then borrow the rest of the money to finish work. Unfortunately my financial situation changed and I was not able to get the second loan. That was almost 5 years ago and I am still wearing a temp bridge. Last time I was to see my dentist a few months ago he said the integrity of the implants are still great. Other issues though are bridge shifts, speech and chewing problems, implants are coming through the gums....not to mention the fact my facial features have changed :-( The very reason I went with the implants was so I could keep my smile. I am so self-conscious now it is very depressing and I feel like all that money for implants was a waste. My dentist has come down off his original price to help me out but even with that I am just not able to do it right now. My question for you is, now that all this time has passed will he be able to get my smile back?

Dear Cheryl,

Yes.  And the sooner the better.  As your lower face continues to change, it becomes more difficult to obtain the result you wish for.

You may want to ask your dentist if he can make a temporary partial plate that will provide better support for your lips.  This may be done at a much lower cost, and you may be able to wear it for a year or more.

I wish you luck in your journey.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.