Dentistry/continuous pain after an extraction

Question
I had a lower molar extracted after I began to have pain when chewing.  The molar that was removed previously had a crown, root canal (2002) and a apico procedure done 2012 after an abscess.  The extraction was done almost 3 weeks ago and I have had a temporary bridge fitted since the extraction.  I do not have any pain when I bite down, but I have a constant ache in the jaw on that side.  I have been living on Tylenol and Advil to just get by. My dentist said the pain would go away, and I'm not confident that he knows what to do next.  What type of specialist should I seek out; a Periodontist, oral surgeon, or endodontist for a second opinion?

Answer
Debra - you might need an evaluation from and oral surgeon, but first for a couple of weeks, begin warm salt water rinses in the area.  Do it for 3-4 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  The warm salt water helps to drain any trapped fluids that produce discomfort.  If it doesn't get better after 7-10 days, then seek an evaluation by a surgeon.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired