Dentistry/continuous pain after an extraction

I had a lower molar extracted after I began to have pain when chewing.  The molar that was removed previously had a crown, root canal (2002) and a apico procedure done 2012 after an abscess.  The extraction was done almost 3 weeks ago and I have had a temporary bridge fitted since the extraction.  I do not have any pain when I bite down, but I have a constant ache in the jaw on that side.  I have been living on Tylenol and Advil to just get by. My dentist said the pain would go away, and I'm not confident that he knows what to do next.  What type of specialist should I seek out; a Periodontist, oral surgeon, or endodontist for a second opinion?

Debra - you might need an evaluation from and oral surgeon, but first for a couple of weeks, begin warm salt water rinses in the area.  Do it for 3-4 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  The warm salt water helps to drain any trapped fluids that produce discomfort.  If it doesn't get better after 7-10 days, then seek an evaluation by a surgeon.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude