Today my dentist told me I need a crown on tooth 19 left side 2nd to last tooth. I asked about porcelain crown and she told me that she will use all porcelain (tooth colored material)for the sake of the conversation tooth color is being referred to as porcelain) as they have come a long way since the metal or the metal and porcelain and the all tooth color no longer has a gray area on edges etc. than the porcelain fixed to metal. However the service code of D2750 was provided on the estimate, by the assistant, which is described as crown-porcelain fused to metal. Also the assistant said I don't know if you need this but you might need a D2950 core buildup so I put it on estimate.
Is all porcelain crown w/ no metal better than porcelain fused to metal?
How do I know what I am getting?  How concerned should I be over this error/miscommunication? Should the doctor be able to tell me in advance if a core buildup is necessary.  
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Porcelain fused to metal is a great restoration and strongest. 2750 is the right code .when the dentist prepares the tooth they will be able to tell you if a buildup will be necessary to augment the the tooth and support
The crown better. Don't feet over it ,everything sounds fine.

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.

I`m a practicing general dentist for 29 years. Member of ADA,NYSDA,SDDS. In addition I am a fellow of the ICOI.My emphasis is on Implant Dentistry .I would be happy to answer questions regarding implant dentistry as well as general dental questions. Ofcourse within the limitations of no clinical exam and the absence of radiographs .

Private practice for 29 years. Have kept up to date with continuing education throughout that time.

ADA,NYDSA,SDDS,ICOI fellow,Penninsula Hospital Dental Society

NYU College of Dentistry DDS 1984 NYU College of Dentistry Surgical and prosthetic implantology program 1999-2001