Dentistry/Dental Crowns

I recently had 4 crowns placed on my upper front teeth. When I tried them on at the dentist, I thought I was happy with them and agreed to have them cemented. I now however think they look to long and I would prefer more shape to the bottom of them. Is it possible for the dentist to shorten them and reshape them?

Dear Paul:
It is essentially impossible for me to answer the question for your dentist.  I know nothing of what was done, what materials were used and what type of occlusion (bite) you have, and any esthetic and speech issues that you might have if the shape and length of the teeth is changed.
The only suggestion that I can give you is to go and talk to your dentist.  It is generally possible to adjust the porcelain or any other material in themouth, however, follwing the adjustments, the crowns have to be polished carefully.  The other issue is that any adjustments have to be done carefully so as to not damage adjacent teeth, or to over-adjust the crowns.  Certain restorative materials can fracture just from the vibration of the drill, and the damage can necessitate the full replacement of the restoration.
All these issues have to be addressed by your dentist.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.