Dentistry/Dental crowns too long

Hi, i've recently had 4 zirconian crowns fitted on my front top teeth. I was satisfied with them prior to them being cemented in place but have since decided they appear to long and square(friends have also noticed and commented on this). I was wondering would it be possible for my dentist to shorten them and reshape the bottom of them. If so how much would he be able to shorten them, eg. 1mm, 2mm...? Thank you in advance for your time.

hi paul
hmmm i wonder why didnt your dentist go for mock buildups before fixing crowns. remember that for the next time and ur family and friends

ok coming to your question: yes and no.

yes : if there is good amount of ceramic on top of the zirconia towards the edge.

no : if there is very little ceramic.

remember that if your crowns have any special stains/shades in the edge area they would be lost once trimming is done.
i wonder how much you paid for zirconia crowns? and which company zirconia crowns do you have?

best wishes
Dr M

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)