Dentistry/Dental pains

Hi there, i basically went abroad and got my front 4 upper teeth trimmed down with a porcelain cap over it, however before he placed the cap he cleaned the area with air but it became painful and the dentist said it would hurt. So he continued and every thing was complete and fine for a few days, til now. The pain is contantly on the gum, im assuming its either an infection or somethin to do with the nerve. I am currety taking anti-biotics but i don know if its helping. Is there any other way to prevent this problem with a root canal etc? Thank you! Your help will be much appreciated.

hi shay
sorry for the delay.
the pain you are describing can be either of the two.
a) frank nerve death (called irreversible pulpitis) or
b) transient nerve irritation due faulty cap margins ( called reversible pulpitis)
c) frank cavity underneath your caps

if its a) then the treatment involves root canal treatment(rct)

if its b) the treatment consists of removing the caps, pasting a new set of temporary plastic caps with a sedative cement made of clove oil for a couple of days and then making new caps once the teeth settle down.

if its c) the caps need to be removed, cavity filled up and new caps.

antibiotics are of very little use.

a visit to a local dentist is required, and a correct diagnosis is warranted.

best wishes
dr m  

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)