Dentistry/Dental pains

Question
Hi there, i basically went abroad and got my front 4 upper teeth trimmed down with a porcelain cap over it, however before he placed the cap he cleaned the area with air but it became painful and the dentist said it would hurt. So he continued and every thing was complete and fine for a few days, til now. The pain is contantly on the gum, im assuming its either an infection or somethin to do with the nerve. I am currety taking anti-biotics but i don know if its helping. Is there any other way to prevent this problem with a root canal etc? Thank you! Your help will be much appreciated.

Answer
hi shay
sorry for the delay.
the pain you are describing can be either of the two.
a) frank nerve death (called irreversible pulpitis) or
b) transient nerve irritation due faulty cap margins ( called reversible pulpitis)
c) frank cavity underneath your caps

if its a) then the treatment involves root canal treatment(rct)

if its b) the treatment consists of removing the caps, pasting a new set of temporary plastic caps with a sedative cement made of clove oil for a couple of days and then making new caps once the teeth settle down.

if its c) the caps need to be removed, cavity filled up and new caps.

antibiotics are of very little use.

a visit to a local dentist is required, and a correct diagnosis is warranted.

best wishes
dr m  

Dentistry

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS