Dentistry/implant infection & temporal arteritis

Jeff Bosma wrote at 2014-12-29 00:00:22
I have just gone through a similar scenario. Misdiagnosis of a wisdom to oth abscess that went on for 3 years, Finally diagnosed, the tooth removed and eventually an implant installed. 9 months later I am diagnosed with temporal arteritis with major steroid intervention to stop vision loss in my left eye (same side as the implant). Also discovered large cyst now in my left sinus with the implant protruding into the sinus. I am now having problems with an infection in my left eyelid while still on the prednisone.

Thank you for sharing your question and answer. Very important for me to know that someone else has experienced what I have. I have suspected the abscess and chronic infection triggered the arteritis.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude