Dentistry/full mouth reehab

Question
HI,
i had full mouth rehab with 28 crowns leaving wisdom teeth in order to raise my vertical height of teeth ..   treatment was completed ok.. after sometime i felt some (1 or 2) high points .. bt the dentist did my entire right side upper and lower mostly pre molars not molars ... and sir now i am facing problems below -

1)pressure on lips while sitting idle or speaking ..
2)i feel like getting a high point touch in front of my teeth due to which i feel a gap and its causing stress (feeling restless)
3)muscles that were strong are now loose (well thats what i have noticed)
all i want is that i donot face the above problems..
main question is -
So if i was to change some crowns (premolars maybe?) which ones should i go for lower ones or upper ones ?      does having an option in upper and lower ones effect the face muscles or its same for upper and lower ?

please help me on this one .. ihave felt a lot of effects in upper upper or lower raise of teeth .. so am confused ..
looking forward to ur reply.
thanx

Answer
Hello Omi,

Before I go spouting off on questions like these, I always like to preface my answer by saying...."I am not a doctor."  But I do feel like I have definite "Patient Point of View" opinions.

I have never heard of anybody capping such a large number of teeth with crowns to adjust a bite.

I am not surprised that after putting caps on your entire upper right side and lower that you are facing problems.  Let's say that even though in theory, you put the caps in all the correct places, I don't think that approach would work.

Ok, now that you have all those caps on, you think, ok, I will move some caps here, replace those there, add some over here, etc., it is a losers battle.  The odds that you will ever be able to get your teeth balanced and get off that merry-go-round of where to put the caps, will go on indefinitely.  Every other week you will be thinking, let me move this cap here, or move that cap there.  You are going to end up being frustrated and tormented.

My best advice, would be for you to visit a dentist who's PRIMARY SPECIALTY is working on patients with TMJ disorders.  It is not enough to just go to any dentist and have them work on you.  

Typically, TMJ dentists will also make a night guard retainer for you.  And you want a dentist who CONSTANTLY is making night guards for patients and who has had a lot of practice fitting them.  A good dentist will also lay out a plan for follow-up visits, to get that night guard, just right.  It could sometimes take as many as 3 or 4 visits and adjustments to get your night guard comfortable for you.

Any dentist can make a night guard and put it in your mouth.  That is no trick, especially since the lab does most of the work.  What you want is a dentist who makes these appliances on a routine basis, and has a lot of experience fitting and getting that balance just right.

The other part of this equation is that when you have added all those caps in your mouth to adjust the bite, it will confuse all your facial muscles. Your face is a complex network of facial muscles all working together in a rhythm. It would be nearly impossible to have all those caps positioned perfectly and then still have all those facial muscles feel like everything is in the right place.

My gut tells me that the whole thing just does not sound right.  Remember.....Most dentists will tell you they can treat TMJ.  But you want the person who does this sort of work on a DAILY basis.  You don't want a dentist who does fillings one day, braces the next, and then maybe takes a TMJ case a couple of times a month.

Good luck and please check back here at Allexperts and let us know how you did.

Best Regards
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble