Dentistry/implant infection & temporal arteritis

during 8 maxillary implants stubborn infections
persisted on left & right sides causing 2 implants to fail.  Low grade infections persisted for months
before completion and seemed also to be causing sinusitis.
Now a year later I suffered Templar arteritis attack & was hospitalized.  Currently undergoing steroid therapy for the condition.  Am I correct in feeling that the long term infections
caused the Templar arteritis?

Hank -  Let me tell you this.  With a chronic infection, bacteria is constantly being fed into the blood vessels in the region.  This recurrent bathing of the blood vessels with bacteria can produce the arteritis.  Is that the only cause? I don't know, but with your history of a low grade infection, it is definitely possible that it is the cause.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude