Dentistry/Minimal Impression Material

Question
Dr. I have a lower cast metal partial that needs relining, because the metal has come through, and irritates the gums. I have had the necessary adjustments, but it has not worked. The dental assistant said if I got a reline it would just be minimal added at best. Should I have this done, or keep getting adjustments? Thanks

Answer
Dear Diane,

the answer really depends on the causes of your sores. Sometimes sores are caused by pressure spots. In this event, the sores tend to go away when an adjustment is made to the internal part of the denture. I use a pressure indicating paste to tell where the denture is pressing or sometimes I mark the sore with ink and it marks the denture where it is pressing on the sore.

Another cause for sores is that the bite is applying too much pressure to the area where the sore develops. In this case a bite adjustment is needed.

In neither of these instances is a reline indicated. Most often relines are indicated when a denture is no resting on the gums properly. In this case when the patient bites on the denture it visibly moves towards the gums. Often when once a reline is added the denture ceases to move when the patient bite down.

dentures can be temporarily relined with a product such as Softone. This is a temporary resilient reline material that can be used to trouble shoot a problem denture. It shows both areas where the denture might be able to use an addition as well as "pressure spots"

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com