Dentistry/Molar Tooth Extra Nerve Supply and Root Canal

Question
Hello

I had a crown fitted on a molar tooth (lower right, first molar next to the premolar) in place of an old metal filling for cosmetic reasons - the tooth itself had no further decay or infection, I just wanted it to look nicer.  Since fitting the crown there has been awful sensitivity and inflammation which has been going on for over a year now.  I have had root canal treatment but the tooth is still inflamed (not infected) and I have had the canals cleaned out and sedative material put in many times over the past few months but it's not made any difference and I experience electric shock type pain in that tooth regularly (it's not really sensitive to hot/cold/sweet and I can bite down on it but it still randomly aches and jars several times a day).

My dentist has told me that one of the canals is blocked which is probably causing the pain and I have an additional nerve supply to my molars.  I have been left to decide what to do but other than having the roots removed and being left with a gap I don't know what can be done.

I already have an implant on the equivalent tooth on the left-hand side and I'm not in a hurry to get another implant but I don't want to be left with a gap.

Do you know what else I could do?  I suggested an apicoectomy to get to the blocked canal but my dentist said my tooth was too far back for this...it's the first molar next to my premolar, is this the case?

I would be grateful for some advice with regards of what the options are for this as I don't want to be in pain all the time.

Thank you

Answer
Dear Louise,

If you must lose the tooth, and you don't want an implant, then you could have a bridge (cemented permanently) or a partial (removable) made.  What you decide depends on how you feel about the different types of appliances.  You can go to nobhilldentalcenter.com and click on dental videos, then on bridges and/or partials.  This will give you a visual of how each are done, as well as a narration about them.

Before you have this tooth removed, make sure your dentist had adjusted it at least one millimeter out of your bite.

Let me know what happens.

Good luck.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO