Dentistry/mouthwash

Question
Hello,

I am 70 years old and have had and treated a great many dental-related problems all my life. I try to do everything possible to keep my gums and teeth as healthy as possible (including a good diet, brushing, flossing, etc.) and have used various mouthwashes, both commercial and "home remedies," like hydrogen peroxide mixed with water.

Someone recommended I use Biotene Oral Rinse for a mouthwash, but it is expensive. I am writing to ask if you think it is worth using rather than another commercial product/home remedy to promote dental health.

Many thanks for your advice.

B.J.

Answer
I'm not a big fan of mouthwashes. Unless you require an antibacterial rinse like peridex the rest are superficial and do little more than make  your mouth feel fresh . You could do very well with any rinse, even a plain water rinse or saline rinse for irrigation.the most beneficial thing you could do is be meticulous in your brushing and flossing.

Dentistry

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.