Dentistry/post and crown with no root canal?

Hi Sir ,

I had a routine check-up and cleaning yesterday.  Everything was going great until the doctor came in to look at my x-ray.  I have a cavity under an old childhood filing.  His recommendation is that I have a post and crown put in.  If my body rejects that, then I will have to have a root canal.  From searching online, getting a post without a root canal first doesn't look very common.  I was thinking of having a second opinion.....  

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much ,

Hi Jessalynn,

Good for you for checking! A post should NEVER be placed prior to a root canal. Perhaps your dentist was talking about doing a buildup with pins to help hold the filling. This is quite common and often done with large fillings.

I think I would start with a clarification of exactly what he plans to do. Give the office a call and express your concerns. If you can get that via email, send it to me and I can help. However, if is truly a post, I would seek treatment elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.