Dentistry/Reline Redo

Question
Dr. Several months ago I got a reline on my upper denture, because it is 8 yrs. old and the palate behind my teeth and on the right side thinned out so bad, it was causing me pain. The ridge still fit very tight. After the lab reline it came back the same way, except even tighter in the ridge. What do you think can be done. I want to go to another dentist for a second opinion. The teeth on the denture are still very good, and dentists say I do not need a new one, so this is a dilemma for me, Thank You!

Answer
Without examining your denture and your ridge it is difficult to diagnose your problem. It is possible that your ridge has experienced bone resorption.If this has occurred this the tissue covering the remaining alveolar ridge can become more movable and if the denture puts pressure on it, pain can occur. In this event the solution is to relieve the denture over the ridge so that other parts of the mouth can bear the load. Also sometimes after a reline the bite can change slightly and cause some additional pressure. In that event the bite may need adjusting. My best advice is to ask your dentist to rule out either of these two problems. You also could consider a second opinion with another dentist.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com