Dentistry/Reline Redo

Dr. Several months ago I got a reline on my upper denture, because it is 8 yrs. old and the palate behind my teeth and on the right side thinned out so bad, it was causing me pain. The ridge still fit very tight. After the lab reline it came back the same way, except even tighter in the ridge. What do you think can be done. I want to go to another dentist for a second opinion. The teeth on the denture are still very good, and dentists say I do not need a new one, so this is a dilemma for me, Thank You!

Without examining your denture and your ridge it is difficult to diagnose your problem. It is possible that your ridge has experienced bone resorption.If this has occurred this the tissue covering the remaining alveolar ridge can become more movable and if the denture puts pressure on it, pain can occur. In this event the solution is to relieve the denture over the ridge so that other parts of the mouth can bear the load. Also sometimes after a reline the bite can change slightly and cause some additional pressure. In that event the bite may need adjusting. My best advice is to ask your dentist to rule out either of these two problems. You also could consider a second opinion with another dentist.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics