Dentistry/Very Severe Plaque Buildup

Question
Hello,
My front bottom teeth have an extensive amount of plaque behind them. It makes them appear to have a very long root and a ball like plaque deposit at the end of it. A little over a week ago I thought, I broke one my lower central incisors near the front of it. I have been told by a few people that I simply broke the plaque deposit. One of the people who told me this is a dentist. That individual told me it was not an emergency and that it can wait a few months to be dealt with. However,the affected tooth is very uncomfortable and it is now difficult to eat. This is the result  of the plaque shifting.
My question for you is: is there an easy and safe way to resolve this issue at home? Is there a cheap easily available substance that will quickly dissolve the plaque?
I do plan on having this issue taken care of by a dentist as soon as possible, but I don't know when that will be.
Thanks for any help.

Answer
Dear Anthony:
I am sorry to hear of your troubles.  However,  there is nothing you can do at home to fix the problem.  First of all, the problem is not plaque,  but what is commonly known as tartar, proper name: calculus.
What caused the problem is neglect of the teeth overtime. I do not know whether you were informed of the the importance of brushing and flossing at home and of periodically seeing a dentist or hygienist for a professional cleaning and removal of the plaque and tartar under the gum line, which no one really can do on their own at home.
When humans lived typical life span of 45 years, as they did before the turn of the 20th century, this was not important.  People just died younger and the loss of teeth did not affect the quality of life. Today, we live so much longer, and the premature loss of teeth, can affect our lives severely.
If the loss of a piece of tartar off of your teeth causes you great discomfort, the problem is with the teeth themselves, and needs to be addressed by a dentist.
I am sorry that this is all the information that I can give you over the Internet without examining you, but you must go and see your dentist as soon as possible.  The problem is not only the loss of the teeth themselves, but the loss of the supporting gum and more importantly the bone.  If left alone, untreated, this loss will preclude you from getting implants in the future or even a well-fitting denture.
Please go and see your dentist as soon as possible.
Best wishes,
Dr.  Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.