Dentistry/Sinus communication

Fat pad
Fat pad  
I had a sinus communication had "fat pad" surgery 8 days ago to repair it the tissue that was stitched over the large area is turning brown in color I don't have a bad taste or smell at all but does this mean that it's not healing properly and not going to work?

Josh - Of course without examining you I cannot be completely sure, but the picture indicates that the area is healing.  The brown color usually indicates a blood clot that is getting old.  With time, the clot can breakdown, but often the brownish color indicates a healing is occurring.  The brown is actually like a dense clot.  This dense clot can protect the area and create a sealing of the area.  Important - during this healing phase, you should not blow your nose and if you have to sneeze, do it with your mouth open so not internal sinus pressure develops and breaks down the healing.

I wish you well and hope that it heals quickly.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude