Dentistry/Sinus communication

Question
Fat pad
Fat pad  
I had a sinus communication had "fat pad" surgery 8 days ago to repair it the tissue that was stitched over the large area is turning brown in color I don't have a bad taste or smell at all but does this mean that it's not healing properly and not going to work?

Answer
Josh - Of course without examining you I cannot be completely sure, but the picture indicates that the area is healing.  The brown color usually indicates a blood clot that is getting old.  With time, the clot can breakdown, but often the brownish color indicates a healing is occurring.  The brown is actually like a dense clot.  This dense clot can protect the area and create a sealing of the area.  Important - during this healing phase, you should not blow your nose and if you have to sneeze, do it with your mouth open so not internal sinus pressure develops and breaks down the healing.

I wish you well and hope that it heals quickly.  

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired