Dentistry/Can a tooth with decay fix itself?

Will a tooth with decay definitely become a cavity?  A dentist told me last year that I have decay on ALL my te eth, but when I look, I see nothing.  I had a more serious dental issue on a couple other teeth, so I was still waiting to get these looked at.  Well, another dentist in the same practice reminded me of all these and said he wants white fillings on all of these.  I just keep thinking, "White filling don't last", plus I keep reading about the 'wait and watch' idea.  I'm going in for a cleaning/flouride. Will that not help? What if I keep getting cleanings? In fact, would it hurt if I got a cleaning/flouride every 3 months for the next year? Could it help? hurt?
Thank you very much,

hi jen
the tooth decay is a process that involves loss of minerals(in its initial stages) & then collapse of the remaining structure called cavitation( last stage)

the initial stage is also called "white spot lesions".
local application of high concerntration fluorides can reverse this lesion back to normalcy.

if however you have cavitations then unfortunately some sort of filling needs to be done.

routine application of fluoride helps in this case too.... as fluoride uptake by tooth structures makes it more resistant to future decay.

white fillings, silver fillings, ceramic fillings or glass ionomer fillings. .... all have limited shelf life after which they would need either changing or repairs.

wait and watch with cavitated lesions does not work.
best wishes
dr m

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)