Dentistry/Tooth extraction

Tooth #29 is "dead" & bothersome at times. Must floss after most meals if smallest particle of food finds its way between that tooth & #30. Tooth #30 has root canal & cap which is ok so far. No problems with#28. Was thinking of having #29 removed & getting a bridge. What is your professional opinion?

Mar - it sounds like you have a condition called periodontal disease.  Just from a catching of food and the bothersome quality of it, it does not mean that the tooth needs to be extracted.  Often in your situation a simple small pocket has developed in the periodontal ligament and that allows food and debris to become trapped.  You may need the extraction, but you should initially have yourself examined by a board certified periodontist to see if the tooth needs just a minor periodontal adjustment to make it totally comfortable.  If not, you can have it extracted at any time.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude