Dentistry/Tooth Pain

Hi I hope you can help me. I am having extreme tooth pain. I had a root canal 5-6 years ago that was not done right at all. It was done on tooth 14. That would be the 1st molar(6 yr molar). I broke this tooth so they did a root canal on it. The girl got frustrated and goes well I don't know why you still have pain so she decided to close put the crown on and permently cement it in. So she said give it 2 weeks. She said that the pain could be from doing the root canal. So 2 weeks later no better it was worse. It pops all the time it is sensitive to hot and cold. So she shaved the tooth down that did nothing. She thought I had an overbite. So now my tooth tonight hurts bad. I have not been able to get to the dentist to have it fixed because I also was six for six years they discovered I had POTS which is rare but not to rare. So I will try to get to the dentist Monday what can I do now to relieve the pain. I have used ambasole I can't use Motrin or Tylenol. I am already taking percocet and tramadol and many other medicines that a young 21 year old should not be on. Any suggestions. When I bite down hard that tooth pops like 3 times. It feels like it has pressure built up in it and most likely infection. Thanks.

Sean - I wish I could tell you that there is a simple solution, but it sounds like you might have inflammation or infection associated with that root canal tooth. This occurs when the root canal is not done completely proper.  

Now you might be able to help by doing warm salt water rinses to hopefully relieve pressure.  In some situations the warm salt water might increase the soreness for a while.  In doing the warm salt water, do the rinse in the area of the tooth for 1-2 minutes, 4-5 times a day.

So try the rinses, but definitely get back to the dentist.  If you do not resolution there, you might need to see a root canal specialist.  I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude