Dentistry/Bone grafts

I am 70 years old and have 14 teeth left to have full upper and lower dentures made. The general dentist wants to do 14 bone grafts @ $350.00 ea. Do I really need te grafts for the dentures to function?

William - Without viewing your mouth I cannot really be sure, but extensive grafting of bone, unless you have had tremendous bone loss is wrong.  My suggestion is to get a second opinion.  That second opinion should be from an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  A knowledgeable and skilled surgeon will be able to identify the true need for grafting.  Having performed extensive extractions for a denture, I have never in 30 years needed bone grafting.  Better is just to smooth out any irregularities.  

Make sure the surgeon is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  Any questions or if you need the name of a surgeon, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will send you names of appropriate surgeons.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude