Dentistry/Bone grafts

Question
I am 70 years old and have 14 teeth left to have full upper and lower dentures made. The general dentist wants to do 14 bone grafts @ $350.00 ea. Do I really need te grafts for the dentures to function?

Answer
William - Without viewing your mouth I cannot really be sure, but extensive grafting of bone, unless you have had tremendous bone loss is wrong.  My suggestion is to get a second opinion.  That second opinion should be from an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  A knowledgeable and skilled surgeon will be able to identify the true need for grafting.  Having performed extensive extractions for a denture, I have never in 30 years needed bone grafting.  Better is just to smooth out any irregularities.  

Make sure the surgeon is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  Any questions or if you need the name of a surgeon, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will send you names of appropriate surgeons.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired