Dentistry/Bridge of nose is tender and hurts.

Can TMJ cause the bridge of my nose to be tender?. Alsocould I have a fractured tooth in front that does not show up on exray.
Right side of my cheek is swollen and feels like its in a spasam.
What can I do.When I chew on right it feels like chewing on a sponge.Thank YOU

Hi Anna,

I have heard about hundreds of different TMJ cases, and there are usually never any two that sound the same.

Your question is.....Can TMJ cause the bridge of your nose to be tender?  I know this won't be a helpful answer to you, but I will just say maybe.

When TMJ occurs it can upset the delicate balance of bone structure and muscles within your face.  Sometimes it can even effect other parts of the body, like your neck or shoulders.  TMJ does all kinds of random things, which is why even the best dentists struggle to figure out how to mitigate the problem.

So perhaps the delicate balance of bones and muscles within your face are causing a pressure point within the bridge of your nose. This is just a guess of what could be happening, and not based on any scientific fact.

I am also not surprised that other bad things are happening inside and around your mouth.  The muscle spasm within your cheek and the spongey feeling on the right side could all be part of the same problem.

And last week, a friend of my mine told me her dentist said that when she has that spongey feeling within a tooth, that means it could be decaying or infected.

By the way, what caused the fracture in your front tooth??  That could be an important clue as to how to proceed with treatment. I don't know if it would show up in an X-ray, but a good dentist might be able to tell if there is a fracture with a visual inspection anyway.

So again, maybe a lot of things.  Obviously you need to get to a dentist right away.  I would prefer you to go to a Board Certified Dentist who deals with TMJ problems on a daily basis.  Please read my responses to many other questions here on to see why getting the right TMJ dentist is so important.

Thank you for writing in your question and hopefully with the right professional help you can make your tender nose and teeth feel more comfortable.

Best regards,
Patient Point of View  

Jonathan at PatientBabble

My area of expertise from the patients point of view would be TMJ plus the speech challenges that these jaw and bite problems sometimes represent. Over the years I have seen a multitude of dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, speech therapists, neurologists and other health professionals who all had an opinion about my bite problem. I am not a doctor, but would purely be a patients point of view type person. I "get it" when people say they tried to explain to their dentist what their bite problem is and that they are misunderstood. I can listen to people's trials and tribulations and there is a good chance I have been down that road before. I can make suggestions as to what people can do at home, or what questions to ask their doctor or dentist when they visit. ////// I come from a family of dentists. My first house growing up was one of those residential/dentist combination homes and I was around the dental practice all the time. My teeth had always been perfect, and in many respects they still are. I have never had a cavity and my teeth are straight. About 25 years ago, I had my wisdom teeth out and since then my bite has never felt "normal." I have learned a lot over the years as I tried to figure out my problem from the Dentists, Speech Pathologists and assorted doctors that I have visited. I will try and recall information or experiences that may be helpful to you.

Twenty-Five years ago after my wisdom teeth were removed, my bite did not feel right and then had trouble speaking. For whatever reason, the first sensation I remember was not that my bite was off.....but rather that my normal tongue and speech patterns had been impeded. The years of searching for proper treatment has underscored the importance of understanding the relationship between dental and speech methodologies.///// To this end, and to further my research, I recently attended the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention (ASHA) in Atlanta. At ASHA I learned about a specialty within Speech Pathology termed “Orofacial Myology”. In laymen's terms Orofacial Myology Disorder (OMD) deals with the establishment of correct functional activities of the tongue, lips and jaw. OMD is a motor speech disorder that impacts the normal flow of speech, chewing or swallowing.///// If you believe that your struggles with your teeth also present speech, chewing or swallowing challenges, you may want to seek out a licensed Speech Language Pathologist.....preferably one that has training with Orofacial Myology Disorder.

Project Management Institute

Abridged Version of a Letter I Sent to a Health Care Professional (3/14/13): "..In my early 20's I had my wisdom teeth out. Almost immediately within a few days, something did not feel right in my mouth. I had trouble speaking. When I raised my tongue to try and touch my palate, I felt mostly just teeth. It is very cumbersome to talk and my bite also became a little bit off. If feels almost as if someone put a fork in my mouth and said "now try and speak." Very difficult. My articulation is fine, so to an observer I sound normal. But it takes a monumental effort, so I hate situations like talking on the phone or when somebody asks me to "tell them a story." ..I spent years going to different dentists, who lumped me into their generic version of what they knew about TMJ. They just automatically gravitate to what they have heard about TMJ and assume I am either stressed, or just imagining it. Years later, I look back at all those dentists and doctors and I am amazed at how little they really knew about my condition. I have seen the best dentists, including my dad who is a Orthodontist in New York, to TMJ Dentists in Atlanta and Florida. No one ever suggested that Speech Pathology may be a direction I should explore. ..And I was frustrated by the fact that several MRI's over the years, showed nothing. How could the MRI’s show nothing, and at the same time, I know something does not feel right? I do wear a night guard to sleep in, but it does not fix the trouble that I have when I try to talk. ..I went with a Speech Pathologist friend of mine to the American Speech Language Hearing (ASHA) Convention last October in Atlanta...There was a Speech Pathologist at ASHA who was saying that sometimes when you have your Wisdom Teeth taken out "late" that it could possibly cause damage to the Trigeminal Nerve and surrounding muscles.” POSTSCRIPT: At ASHA, I discovered OROFACIAL MYOLOGY (OMD) which is a specialty in Speech Pathology that addresses Oral Muscular Issues.

College Graduate with Bachelor of Arts Degree, Project Management Professional, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist