Dentistry/Dental implant corrosion

Question
Hi Doc, I have read some scientific reports stating that the titanium in dental implants can be corroded even though it is resistant to corrosion and also that patients with implants have high titanium levels in their bloodstream. What is your take on this? Thanks.

Answer
Teo - There is definitely some corrosion of dental implants just like any metallic item in the mouth, other than gold.  In dental metallic fillings, this corrosion actually makes the fillings fit better and seal the area and helps prevent recurrent decay of the area.  I have not heard, nor just read, while trying to answer your question, any negative effects of the corrosion related to dental implant titanium.

My suggestion, if you really want to know, contact a physician called an epidemiologist.  

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired