Dentistry/Dental implant corrosion

Hi Doc, I have read some scientific reports stating that the titanium in dental implants can be corroded even though it is resistant to corrosion and also that patients with implants have high titanium levels in their bloodstream. What is your take on this? Thanks.

Teo - There is definitely some corrosion of dental implants just like any metallic item in the mouth, other than gold.  In dental metallic fillings, this corrosion actually makes the fillings fit better and seal the area and helps prevent recurrent decay of the area.  I have not heard, nor just read, while trying to answer your question, any negative effects of the corrosion related to dental implant titanium.

My suggestion, if you really want to know, contact a physician called an epidemiologist.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude