Dentistry/Dull pain after amalgram filling

Question
I had some fillings done on wed the 28 of aug.  I was taking a nap the afternoon of dental work and was awoken with a pain. I went back in to my dentist and he adjusted the bite. Said the tooth could also be bruised. They are not sensitive to hot or cold. The pain comes and goes.  It is a light dull pain that is soothed with heat. I also have to wear a night guard because of teeth grinding. Is this pain something that should go away with time or should I have reason for concern?

Answer
Hi Nanc and thanks for your question.

I am sure you can appreciate the difficulty in me giving you a definitive diagnosis and answer without the benefit of being able to examine you or consider the additional diagnostic aids.

I would suggest that you monitor your symptoms over a period of 2 weeks. Should the symptoms worsen or increase in severity during that time, then report this to your clinician for further investigation.  If they remain about the same, then likewise, report this to your clinician as the situation is not improving as it should. There is a possibility it could be a bruised periodontal ligament caused by a bite discrepancy of the new filling, possibly even in combination with your grinding habit. Also make sure that your night guard has adequate fit after placement of the new filling and that the guard is not the cause of the unintentional trauma on this tooth. Your dentist can evaluate that pretty quickly.

It becomes quite open-ended from there, as the possible causes of your discomfort are plentiful and I'm not one for basing recommendations on speculation without proper diagnosis. A few conditions which I have encountered in situations like yours, are:

1. underlying tooth fracture
2. underlying root fracture
3. incomplete removal of all unsupported tooth structure, which reduced the integrity of the filling
4. non-vital or dead tooth, usually caused by deep and chronic decay in the cavity, which requires root canal treatment. Vitality testing can eliminate this possibility.

If this matter persists and a definitive cause cannot be established, then I usually either refer my patients to a prosthodontist for consultation or remove the filling and place a medication in the tooth followed by a good temporary filling for a period of 2 weeks to evaluate the symptoms. if the symptoms improved, then a new permanent filling can be placed - if not, then your clinician must investigate other possibilities - such as other teeth, the severity of your grinding habit and possible TMJ involvement, or even other, less common causes such as the sinus cavities.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best for a speedy and uneventful resolution of this matter.  Pain is a warning sign, so don't just brush it off as insignificant.  Note how your symptoms worsen or improve over time and report these to your dentist - it helps a great deal.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)