Dentistry/Impacted wisdom tooth

Panoramic x-ray
Panoramic x-ray  
Hello! I'm Ann, 30 yrs old.  I'm planning to have my impacted wisdom tooth (third molar) to be removed via surgery. I'm also planning to have braces afterwards to correct the overcrowding of my teeth. As I was looking for a good surgeon/ortho to do my case, one dentist suggested that I can have my second molar removed to make way for the impacted third molar to come out properly like a normal tooth. With this option, I can avoid the pain of surgery, lessen the sick leaves from work I need to file for the healing process, and also minimizes the expenses for the surgery because it will only fall under simple tooth extraction. But then I have some doubts with the outcome, such as, if it will come out normally  and strong, the relationship of the lower tooth with the upper, and the stability of it. Which option do you think is best for my case? Is it worth to sacrifice my second molar over my impacted third molar? And what will be the advantages and disadvantages if I will choose this option? Please give me your opinion on both sides(left and right molars). Attached herewith is my panoramic x-ray to give you clear insights of my case. Hope to hear answers from you. Thank you inadvance!

I would definitely not recommend removal of the mandibular second molars. If that were done the impacted third molar would probably emerge even further tipped and this would create a very difficult problem to correct.  On the other side the third molar would also require some very challenging difficulties to move it into acceptable positions.  Surgical removal of the impacted third molar, in my opinion, is the only reasonable option.

Dr. Randolph Myerson

Please limit your inquiry to questions about orthodontics (braces) and children's dentistry. I am both an Orthodontist and a Pediatric Dentist, having been trained in both of these dental specialty fields. Orthodontics is the dental specialty that treats problems of tooth, bite and jaw alignment using braces and removable appliances. Pediatric Dentistry is the dental specialty also known as dentistry for children, which deals specifically with the dental problems of this special age group from infants to adolescents. I am also experienced in Forensic Dentistry, the application of dentistry to law enforcement and identification using dental records.

I have been in the private practice of orthodontics and pediatric dentistry for over 20 years. Prior to that I served for three years on the Cleft Palate and Cranio-facial Reconstruction team at Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia and was an Assistant Professor of Dentistry at University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. I also served as a dentist in the U.S.Air Force, stationed at Andrews AFB in Washington, DC.

I am a Fellow in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, and a member of the American Association of Orthodontics, as well as a member of the American Dental Association and the Dental Society of the State of New York.

I received my BA in Biology from Frankin & Marshall College in 1969, and my dental degree from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine in 1973. In 1978 I received both my Certificate in Orthodontics from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, and my Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry from Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia after completing a three year Teaching Fellowship in Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry in 1978.