Dentistry/Impression for Rebase

Question
Dr. I may have to have a rebase done on my upper denture, and I wanted to know what type of impression material that will be used. Is it alginate, or some other stuff like pink liquid?  I remember being told it had to stay in the mouth for 5 minutes. Thanks

Answer
There are a number of techniques used for doing a reline for dentures. Some are in office procedures that utilize either pink acrylic or pink composite materials to reline the denture. Other laboratory techniques involve taking an impression inside a denture while the patient wears it. I often use a material named Softone that slowly sets in the mouth and generates a "functional impression". The patient wears the denture with this material in place for up to thirty minutes and then the denture is sent to the lab for an lab processed acrylic reline. Many dentists use either  silicone or polyether impression materials to coat the internal of a denture and create a reline impression for their laboratory relines. I do not believe that alginate is commonly used.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com