Dentistry/Impression for Rebase

Dr. I may have to have a rebase done on my upper denture, and I wanted to know what type of impression material that will be used. Is it alginate, or some other stuff like pink liquid?  I remember being told it had to stay in the mouth for 5 minutes. Thanks

There are a number of techniques used for doing a reline for dentures. Some are in office procedures that utilize either pink acrylic or pink composite materials to reline the denture. Other laboratory techniques involve taking an impression inside a denture while the patient wears it. I often use a material named Softone that slowly sets in the mouth and generates a "functional impression". The patient wears the denture with this material in place for up to thirty minutes and then the denture is sent to the lab for an lab processed acrylic reline. Many dentists use either  silicone or polyether impression materials to coat the internal of a denture and create a reline impression for their laboratory relines. I do not believe that alginate is commonly used.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics