Dentistry/INJECTION SITE PAIN

Question
Hi Dr. Teig!  Thank you for taking the time to read regarding my problem. I went to the dentist
6 days ago for a crown on a tooth located on the top left side (last tooth). The next day, the injection site was very sore. It has slowly gotten worse. The pain appears (or at least  it feels that way) to be at the injection site. It's an aching feeling. There is a little swelling/puffiness there too. Sometimes the pain radiates to my ear. Should I be worried? How long will the pain last? Can muscle spasms be this painful? Monday is a holiday but I will call the dentist Tuesday. I've never had this happen before and I've been numbed many times. 800mg of Motrin takes the pain away. Hoping its not a tooth issue.....but pain doesn't seem to be there unless the pain can travel. Any ideas would be great appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Answer
Kelli -  Of course, without examining you I cannot be sure, but from injections, you can develop jaw muscle spasms or infections at the site of the injection.  My suggestion, since an inflammation or infection is most likely the cause of the pain is to immediately contact the dentist's office.  He needs to prescribe an antibiotic to cut down infection that might be present.  More so important, you need to immediately begin warm salt water rinses in the area of the injection.  Do the rinses for about 5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  The rinses should help greatly to reduce the soreness, but getting an antibiotic from the dentist is also important.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired