Dentistry/orthodontic and rheumatic heart

Question
I am rheumatic heart patient and I take penicilline benzathine injections every month. can I wear braces? what precaution must i do if i wear braces?

Answer
Hi Suzanna and thanks for your question which I am answering from the question pool.

The following is an extract from the Committee of the American Heart Association on the matter: 1. The Committee concluded that only an extremely small number of cases of infective endocarditis might be prevented by antibiotic prophylaxis for dental procedures even if such prophylactic therapy were 100% effective.
2. Infective endocarditis prophylaxis for dental procedures is reasonable only for patients with underlying cardiac conditions associated with the highest risk of adverse outcome from infective endocarditis.
3. For patients with these underlying cardiac conditions, prophylaxis is reasonable for all dental procedures that involve manipulation of gingival tissue or the periapical region of teeth or perforation of the oral mucosa.
4. Prophylaxis is not recommended based solely on an increased lifetime risk of acquisition of infective endocarditis.

The ruling would be only if you have heart damage caused by Rheumatic Fever and there is a possibility of bleeding from dental procedures, then that would warrant antibiotic cover before the procedure.  Let your orthodontist know about your medical history all the same and discuss the matter further with them.  I hope this helps and wish you all the very best further, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)