Dentistry/peroxide

Question
Is1% hydrogen peroxide safe to rinse with for whitening?
Also at the moment I use colgate optic white enamel white luminous mint. Is it safe to not rinse after brushing with that paste or will it cause problems. I read after brushing its good to spit but not rinse mouth out.
Thanks

Answer
Dear Marc:
Sorry for the delay.  I try to answer questions as they come in but yours got lost in the shuffle.  I actually tried to find the answers I had given several times already on the same subject.
The long and the short of it is the following:
1. The only thing that actually cleans our teeth is the actual act of brushing!  Physical removal of the bacterial plaque is the only way to stave off periodontal disease and carries (tooth decay).  If you like a regular hand held brush, it is great.  Studies have shown that properly used electrical brushes can improve oral hygiene somewhat.
2. Flossing is the only other action that can help elevate the level of your oral hygiene.
3. All other adjuncts, including rinses, show only marginal improvement in oral hygiene.  Concentrate on what we know that works well. Chlorhexidine (Peridex) is the only mouthwash which has been proven to be effective.  It will stain your teeth, and should be used for a limited time and only by prescription. All other mouthwashes, give you nice refreshing breath for a few minutes.  That is all.  
4. PEROXIDE IS NOT A MOUTHWASH.  STOP using it and stop wasting your money and time.
5. Toothpaste is used to lubricate the teeth and gums, and to make the brushing more pleasurable.  Pick whatever toothpaste tastes good to you, and an approval seal of the American Dental Association is a good way to make sure the toothpaste is acceptable.

I am very glad that you are taking your oral hygiene seriously. However, there is no need to go overboard with things that show very little advantage to them, yet take away the emphasis from what really works.
Brush and floss your teeth, and go see your dentist at least twice a year for a professional cleaning.  You will do just fine.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.