Dentistry/Root canal and crown

Question
In May 2013, I had a root canal and crown done on the right tooth net to front tooth. The dentist said it had a small abcess and needed a root canal so she did that and then did everything but seat my permanent crown, which I had to return in 2 weeks to get it. There was some swelling on roof of mouth by that tooth, I took antibiotics. When I went back 2 weeks later to seat crown I told her tooth was still tender and still felt a little swollen on roof of mouth by tooth, she xrayed and said it looked good and told me the pain can last a little while. In July I went back to dentist cuz still the swelling and pain in tooth, she is no longer there, so I saw another dentist, he xrayed and said the root canal looked good, and he did not see infection but he would prescribe me antibiotics anyway, clindamycin 300 mg, and he also said the pain may last awhile. I have had root canals before and never had this problem. I am still having the tenderness in tooth and the slight swelling on roof of mouth around that tooth. I don't know what to do, I don't want to lose this tooth, cuz I work nd ont want to be out in public waiting for a fixed bridge to come in, does it sound like infection to you, I am kinda scared that it is infection us of the slight swelling in my gum. What can be done if this root canal has been botched up, should I see another dentist for second opinion, with my insurance I paid them 650.00 and the work is suppose to be guaranteed, but I am starting to wonder if I can trust him. I just don't know what to do, and I am feeling a little hopeless with this tooth. Please any advice would be great.

Answer
Good morning Ginger,

I can certainly understand your frustration and desire to get an answer to your situation, especially after spending that amount of time and money to get things fixed. Since I can't exam you, I really can't diagnosis your problem, but I can give you a few thoughts that may help.

After a root canal is done, it will often cause the tooth to flare up again. Usually this is only for a few days, a week tops, and can be controlled with antibiotics. You have gone way beyond that at this point. Continued swelling on the roof of your mouth tells me things are still not right. It is also obvious to me that you aren't getting any help from the office you are currently going to.

At this point, I would suggest that you get a 2nd opinion from an endodontist since we specialize in root canals. If there is a problem, it would be an endodontist who should fix it, whatever is wrong, so your money would not be wasted getting an examination from one. If treatment is needed, in most cases it would involve redoing the root canal or doing an apicoectomy, which is a small surgical procedure on the end of the root.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find out and what is done to solve your problem.

Best regards,

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD