Dentistry/Sweet taste

Question
Had some amalgram fillings done a week ago tomorrow. I've noticed a sweet taste coming from the area where the fillings were done.   No sensitivity to hot or cold. And only some discomfort not anything serious as far as pain  
Any ideas why the sweet taste all of a sudden after dental fillings ?

Answer
HI Nancy and thanks for your question.

I must be honest that I have not personally encountered a problem such as yours clinically with amalgam restorations.  the greatest majority of problems are associated either with temperature sensitivity or a metallic taste in the mouth.  One of the obvious causes might be leaking of the filling at the tooth-filling interface, which could result in gradual dissolving of the liner or base used under the amalgam.  There are many materials which are used for liners and/or bases world wide, which vary greatly in the smell and taste and if this material is being dissolved in your saliva, that would alter your taste perception.

Another possibility could be the presence of an active draining infection in or around the newly filled tooth, but your dentist would be in a better position to evaluate and eliminate that as a possible cause.  Also, your absence of any additional clinical signs and symptoms i.t.o pain, fever and swelling make this less likely.  Bare in mind that that it possible to have a dental infection related to a tooth without experiencing any significant symptoms, as long as the infection finds a route via which to drain into the mouth, thereby avoiding any pressure build-up in the area.

If I was you, I would monitor the situation for an additional 2 weeks and report your symptoms to your dentist for further evaluation, should they persist.  Your dentist should just make sure that all the filling is still firmly in place, without any broken off or fractured and with all the margins of the filling still tight and smooth with the tooth surface.  We sometimes find, especially with amalgam fillings which gradually get harder over time, that unintentional or excessive function during the first 3 hours after placement can result in fracture of the filling, which would also allow saliva to to find its way into the tooth.

I hope this helps and wish you a speedy and uneventful resolution of this problem, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck  

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)