Dentistry/Tiny bumps/redness on chin

Question
Bump face
Bump face  
Hi Dr. Craig.
I must say you have been so nice and kind to answer my questions

I have this small patch on my chin that is red and it doesn't seem to clear up with things I've done. I've used tea tree oil, vitamin E oil, apricot scrub among a few other creams and it doesn't seem to be healing. I don't know what it could be. Pic attached  

Ps. You are hot. :-)

Answer
Hi Nanc and thanks for your question.  You are more than welcome, it is a pleasure being of assistance to you and thank you so much for your very kind words and compliment.

I feel your question would be best answered by a dermatologist, given its location, but if I had to offer an educated opinion, I would say it looks rather like a herpes infection - i.e. a cold sore, given its location, persistent and recurring nature and its clinical image.  Now please don't freak out and get into a panic over the name herpes - its a very common viral infection that kids usually contract from adults while growing up and although related to the herpes which causes ano-genital warts by structure only, has no significance other than causing facial lesions as recurrent blisters, especially on and around the lips.  For the most part, the worst symptoms involve these blisters making a return whenever your immunity becomes a bit over-taxed, such as during exam time, emotional stress such as divorce,marriage, moving house, with excessive direct sunlight or UV exposure, immune disorders or other viral infections which precede their appearance on the face.  I myself, am a victim of this virus and have found only 1 thing to help clear it up quite effectively.

The problem with the commercial anti-viral creams, is that they are usually only applied once the virus has travelled along the neuron or nerve cell from where its hiding to its final destination on the lip. The virus remains protected within the neuron, with a few particles being secreted in the liquid which forms as the blister develops, and after a few days the virus once again travels back to lie dormant in the terminal nerve ganglia.  From my experience, the most effective way of blocking the virus from forming a visible blister, is to apply 90% alcohol or higher to the area as soon as you feel any symptoms in the area.  You will find that the same area of the lip is usually affected and most often you will feel a tingle in that area - take that as a warning sign and start applying alcohol as often as you can, but at least 5 times during the day.  You might find that the skin gets a drier as a result, but that is what you want because the dessication effect that the alcohol has, will literally dry up any developing or established blister.  Once the lesion has cleared up, apply moisturiser regularly to return the skin tone and complexion to normal.  You will find that, over time, by using this treatment, the viral attack will get less and less and the interval between attacks will lengthen.

The other condition which appears similar to your lesion to me, is psoriasis.  This is a chronic, non-contagious skin condition, suspected to have a genetic link in development.  Normal skin cells flake off about every 4 weeks, whereas in psoriasis, the new skin has a faster turn-over rate and starts to accumulate in the area, resulting in the formation of red, dry and scaly patched called plaques. For the most part, treatments have limited effect but can reduce the redness and irritation of the area, making the lesion less visible.  To reduce the severity of this condition, avoid exposure to direct sunlight, reduce alcohol and smoking, reduce stress where ever possible.  There are some OTC preparations available and in my experience, those containing tar are the most beneficial. But as I said, these are only possibilities and no means a definitive diagnosis.  Make an appointment to see a dermatologist and get the peace the mind you deserve over this - I really don't think its anything serious for you to worry about.  

I hope this helps and wish you al the best in resolving this issue speedily and as uneventfully as possible, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck  

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)