Dentistry/TIps for Impression

Question
Dr. Dalin,  Do you have any tips for me on taking an upper rebase impression. My dentist said he will use an impression material like paste, and it would stay in the mouth for four minutes. I cannot even stand one minute. Should I tell him if he could do a thin layer so I won't gag? Why does it have to stay four minutes? I am terrified of impressions. Thanks

Answer
generally these impressions are not bad. they are taken inside of the denture so there is not much that squirts out at all. just remind your dentist so that he/she does not place too much impression material in there. it does not take much at all and it should not feel much different than just having denture in place (unless it is overloaded with impression material). good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Dentistry

Jeff Dalin DDS