Dentistry/Tooth is Grey
My 4 year old daughter bumped her front top tooth a few months ago. During a recent dentist visit, the x-ray showed root resorption has occurred at the damaged tooth. I was given 2 choices. Either remove the tooth or wait and see what happens. Obviously I would rather wait and see what happens rather than put her through the trauma of an extraction, but I do not want the permanent tooth underneath to be damaged. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Thank you for this nice question Crystal and you should be ok with your plan. It is hard to say if the baby tooth had pushed against the permanent tooth bud. If it did then there might be a small discoloration on the permanent tooth but nothing to worry about and usually it looks like a small white blemish. The root resorption on a tooth like this is common and as you said, it has been two months and there is no infection present so I see no reason not to leave the tooth in place until the permanent tooth erupts. Baby teeth are different than adult teeth and if this were a permanent tooth the treatment would be different but since it's a primary incisor then I think you're fine to leave it until the permanent tooth erupts or this one falls out by itself. She's 4 so I think that she will be fine as is. I hope this helped.