Dentistry/White fillings

Some years ago I had white fillings put in on my front teeth and after they were put in my dentist told me  I had to come back for another appointment to have have them polished to give them the white look as they have a yellowy discolor to them now.  Due to financial and employment problems it was years before I could afford to see a dentist again and when I went back into another dentist's office, living in a new city, I asked the dental hygienist about having the white fillings polished finally and she seemed to have no idea of what I was talking about? Are there a type of white filling that require polishing or was a I scammed?

Dear Neil:

It is hard for me to tell you if you were scammed or not, however, I can only speculate, since I cannot examine you and I was not there when the fillings were fabricated.  Sometimes, a dentist finishes a restoration and it does help to return at a later date and look at the final product and adjust, or polish.  I routinely recall my patients for cosmetic cases two weeks after the final insertion of the work to check it out and make sure that everything is OK, and to make adjustments to the bite, or contour of the restorations.  
White, composite fillings CAN be re-polished and many times, even after a few years, a white filling can be polished and look cleaner and whiter.
I do not think that you were scammed, and maybe your new hygienist is right as well.  She might think that your work is just fine as it is.
Ask your new dentist to look at the work and see if the stain can be polished out of the old fillings.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman  

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.