Dentistry/xrays and implants

how common is it for surgeon to take xray right after implant placement?
how long does it take to place one molar implant?

Kris -  It is important that the surgeon take an xray after the insertion of the implant to make sure that the implant placement has not entered into connection with a nerve, if the implant is on the lower jaw, or the sinus if placed in the upper jaw.  

A molar implant placement can take anywhere from about twenty minutes to an hour.  The length of time varies depending on the location of the implant and the presence of other vital structures in the area.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude