Dentistry/Cavity under fairly new bridge

Question
I had a bridge done in the back 3 years ago. I went to a different dental office ( not the one that did the bridge) for a cleaning. The dentist said he highly suspects a cavity under the crown of one of the supporting teeth. He suggests replacing the crown or cutting off the crown entirely & fixing the supporting teeth with no bridge. Both costs were almost equal of $1,500. no dental insurance. I just bought a new upper denture a year ago from him. I had a very hard time adjusting to the bridge the first time because it was so sensitive that I could not bite down. It took about 18 months before I could actually bit down & even now it is sensive. I am somewhat adverse to a new bridge for that reason. I really would like to not go through all that again. The dentist did say that the bridge failure was nothing I had done, but for what ever reason the cement came lose or was not done right. Having the 2 supporting teeth pulled & putting in implants for at least 10 grand sounds pretty awful to. Do you have any suggestions? I am not a rich woman but middle class at best. 65 years old, which is another thing. I bet between my husband & I we have spent about 15 grand on dentists in the last 5 years. I would appreciate a realistic answer. Thanks

Answer
Hi Judy,

The dentist that did the cleaning....did he take an x-ray?  Maybe he can see the cavity under the crown a little better that way.....perhaps there will be more certainty in identifying the problem....less guesswork.

Your description sounds like a lot going on there.  How about this....why not tackle the issue incrementally....do it in pieces.  Start by just addressing the primary cavity issue under the crown, and then put back the bridge that has been there.  Maybe the sensitivity you have been experiencing is because of that cavity??

And don't worry about having no dental insurance.  Most dental plans are worthless anyway.  If there is a $200 deductible and a $1,000 cap, then paying the premium every year, never made sense to me.

So again....I think I would do the job in pieces if it were me.  That way you can make  better decisions along the way.  Plus, it will also help to spread out the costs of the job.

What I would also do, is first ask the dental office how much it would cost to do the work.  Once you have the cost of the work, you can then ask if you can spread the costs over 6 or 12 months.  Most dental offices have a benefits/money person that you can talk to that can help figure out how to pay.

Hopefully this has been a "realistic" answer.

Best regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble