Dentistry/Fused tooth/braces

Question
My daughter has had braces for almost 4 years, her orthodontist recently told us he thinks her right eye tooth may be fused as he cannot get it to turn the way he wants it. He said that's he's only seen this once before and there is really nothing else he can do. He says you cannot see it from a basic x-ray, she will need to get a dental CT scan (I think that's what he called it). Have you ever heard of such a thing and what can we do about it? He is set to remove her braces in a few weeks. Should we seek another opinion before we have them removed?

Answer
Fused teeth can be a problem because they are rarely the proper shape and size of normal teeth.  They can certainly create difficulty in treatment and can require the need to accept compromise in treatment goals.  A second opinion can be helpful in bringing you to a better understanding of the situation and may introduce additional options for your consideration.

Dentistry

Dr. Randolph Myerson