Dentistry/Gum Callus

Dr. I have a white spot, or gum callus under my upper denture. The spot is located behind the last molar on the right where there is just the pink acrylic. I just has a reline done, and my dentist shaved off a lot there after he saw it. It has been over a week and still hurts. I am leaving it out, eating soft food and salt water rinse. Trying to stay off that area when chewing.  Any suggestions, on how long the callus will take to go away? Thanks

Dave - a callus in the mouth, like anywhere else in the body is due to a chronic irritation.  You dentist needs to do more to relieve the irritation.  That are of the denture could be high or with a minimally rough edge.  There are so many reason for a callus to form, if that area is truly a callus.  

My suggestion, if the dentist doesn't know what else to do, should refer you to an oral surgeon.  If it reforms, it might be a good idea to biopsy the area to make sure it is a callus and not something else.

I am not saying it is dangerous, but it could be a different situation rather than a callus.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude