Dentistry/Mucocele for 16 years

I have a mucocele on my lower right lip, and it has been on my lip for 16 years now. I am scared of surgeries that's why i didnt take it earlier on. But now, i have decided to , this time around. I will be having the surgery to remove it in two weeks time.

Since i have had this mucocele for a long time,
(1) will there be complications or side effects?
(2) will there be a re-alignment of the operated area to the non operated area after some time of healing?
(3) How long will it take to heal in my case?

I am scaredddddd!!

Thank you very much for this good question Emmanuel.

Firstly there should be no side effects and as far as complications it is impossible to predict things like bleeding problems and things like that,but please be reassured this is very minor and with a good surgeon all that will happen is removal of a small gland which you will never miss. Yes there will be re-alignment but the surgeon will probably suture this in place and most likely even if there is any scar at all it will be minute.  Fortunately the mouth has rapid cell turnover so within two weeks you probably will have little additional healing and with time( maybe a few more weeks) most of the evidence of the surgery will probably disappear.  

Dr. Karmen

Thomas Karmen

All general dentistry questions, especially those related to fixed prosthetics. Endodontics, Periodontics, and implants, minor oral surgery I can't answer much about othodontics nor advanced treatment of carcinoma nor deep tissue surgery nor osseous surgery such as jaw reduction or advancement.

DDS In general practice and consulting with having done some lecturing for local dental societies.

ADA and Florida Dental Association and Iowa Dental association

DDS degree