Dentistry/root canal

Question
QUESTION: I had a root canal on my last back lower molar about 6 weeks ago.  It was a tooth that broke and had infection, after 2 courses of z-pack, my dentist did the root canal.  I have had nothing but pain ever since.  He then put on the crown temporaily. The pain got worse. He has adjusted my bite 3 times thinking that was the reason for the pain.  It just keeps getting worse.  Last week he cleaned the canals out again and the front canal starting draining some infection, 2 days prior to this I had started taking Keflex because he thought it was infected again, even though x-rays showed nothing.  He put medicine and gause in the canals and sent me home.  Said he didnt want anything like the crown covering it so that it could drain.  For 2 days the pain is still there and the taste of the medicine he put in just drained in my stomach and tasted horrible.  Going back in today, God only knows what he is going to do.  I really want the tooth extracted I think it is fractured.  I cant take this pain anymore, can he extract the tooth, or does he need to refer me to an endodnist?  Please help me.

ANSWER: Hi Wendy,

I am very sorry for your terrible ordeal.

Your instincts are correct that now would be a good time to have an Endodontist (or maybe a Periodontist) at least look at you.....whether you get the green light or not from your current dentist.

I like the idea of you going to a specialist such as an Endodontist because they have expertise in a specific area....and obviously you have just earned your right to see a specialist.

General dentists are best at preventive care in that they know at least a little bit about a broad range of treatments for your teeth.....but are usually not expert in one focused area.

There is one thing that concerns me about the work that you have had done.....What did you mean by "he has adjusted my bite 3 times thinking that was the reason for the pain?"   Ummm.....I don't know about that one.  It is very tricky to adjust a bite and not have it upset the careful balance of teeth and facial muscles.

On the the plus side it does seem like he is trying everything he knows to drain the canals and to prevent infection.  I like that he did not put the crown back in there, because that probably would only irritate the area more.

By the time you receive this reply, you may have already gone for your follow-up appointment.  You may want to ask your dentist if he thinks a Endodontist or even a Periodontist would be best.  I am not sure which of those two specialties would be more appropriate.

Please let me know what happens.

Best regards
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

QUESTION: Thank you for your advise... I really appreciate it.  Here is the problem with asking to see a specialist , I have paid my dentist $1900 for this root canal and crown...I have no dental insurance and no money to pay for anything else... Any suggestions?

Answer
Wendy,

I think I am going to have to file this one under lesson's learned.  It sounds like you payed for the entire job up front.  Next time, it would be better to do expensive treatment in installments.

How about this....why not go to a specialist....not to do the actual work, but to get a second opinion?  And if that opinion is somewhere in the ballpark, then let your primary dentist finish the job.

Ultimately, the work is going to have to go to the dentist that can do the job correctly.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble