Dentistry/Tooth extraction- big brown blood clot hanging down

Question
12 hours ago I had two molars pulled out (top and bottom) and after about 6 hours I ate mashed potato and Ice cream. After that I saw orange yellow type stuff on top of where the blood clots are. So I gently rinsed with warm salt water, but the yellow stuff was still there. So I just left it. Is this normal? And is it normal for the blood clots to be dark purple - almost black?
Later I looked again and the blood clot looks almost a brown colour and  seems to be hanging very low out of the socket especially the top whole. Is this normal? It feels as though that If I pushed with my tongue it would come out. It moves around very easily within the hole. I'm scared it will fall out and I will get dry socket or an infection.
Please Help !

Answer
Dear Jess,

What you describe is a blood clot; it is normal for the blood clot in extraction socket to be dark purple/black'ish as you described.  Don't rinse your mouth too much today and try to leave the clot alone.  In a day or 2, you should feel a lot better.

Dr. John Kong
www.betterlivingdentistry.com

Dentistry

John Kong, DDS, www.betterlivingdentistry.com